|Country||Germany DDR DD_FDC_Sc_B32|
|Title||Germany DDR. FDC Sc. B32.
FDC Cancellation on FDC Envelope
|Description||Ravensbrück Memorial Site
In 1939, the SS had the largest women’s concentration camp in the Greman Reich built in the village Ravensbrück, close to the small town of Fürstenberg/Havel (50 km North of Berlin). Between 1939 and 1945, 132,000 women, 20,000 men and 1,000 young women from the ”Youth Protection Camp Uckermark” were registered as prisoners. The 150.000 prisoners came from over 40 countries and were often used for forced labor; tens of thousands were murdered or died from hunger, illness or medical experimentation. After the Red Army liberated the camp on April 30th, 1945, the land was used by them for military purposes until 1994; outside of the historical camp walls a Memorial was opened in 1959, which was one of the GDR’s three national Memorials. After the German reunification, the site became a part of the Brandenburg Memorial Foundation, and the Ravensbrück Memorial Site was expanded to include extensive parts of the historical concentration camp complex..
Themes: Lakes | Monuments
Stamp Sc. B32 – Ravensbruck Memorial
|Used/Unused||Special Cancellation – Berlin, 11.09.1959|